In honour of the announcement of Niall Horan’s new album The Show, this month’s playlist will focus on the Laurel Canyon musicians Niall said influenced him while making the album. Who are the Laurel Canyon musicians? What even is Laurel Canyon?
Well, Laurel Canyon is an area of LA that was mere minutes away from the Sunset Strip, but that seemed to retain a small-town feel. The Canyon was home to many well-known artists, such as Joni Mitchell, The Beach Boys, Crosby, Stills, and Nash. Apparently, they all lived within walking distance of each other and would frequently visit and play music together. The pace of living was relaxed and calm, with each artist exploring their own musical journey with their peers.
Below is a mere selection of the Laurel Canyon artists, but it would definitely be worth it to check out more, as they’re truly inspirational.
- California Dreamin’ by The Mamas and The Papas
- Suite: Judy Blue Eyes by Crosby, Stills, & Nash
- Take It Easy by The Eagles
- It’s Too Late by Carole King
- Doctor My Eyes by Jackson Browne
- Something In The Way she moves by James Taylor
- Turn! Turn! Turn! by The Byrds
- Daydream Believer by The Monkees
- Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchel
- I Get Around by The Beach Boys