29 of Harry’s Best Quotes
We’ve all had the privilege of watching Harry grow from a cheeky 16 year old that worked at a bakery to the music industry icon he is today at 29. To celebrate his birthday, we’re going to take a look back through some of his best quotes. Some are a lot of words that don’t say much but wind up being hilarious examples of why we adore him, while others are few words that say everything you need to know.
1. “People saying ‘You’re famous’, I just struggle with the word. It just gives you like no substance. It’s not like you’re ‘He was a really nice guy’ or ‘He was really funny’. It like becomes this thing where it’s like ‘He’s famous’. And it’s just like a weird… I hate it.” (This Is Us, 2013)
Ever humble, Harry explained the way the word “famous” can be dehumanizing, and how he wants to be, and should be, valued for his other qualities. He hasn’t said much else on the term since then, but the echoes of it are apparent when he takes time to introduce himself as just “Harry” at every show.
2. “I’ve always wanted to be one of those people who didn’t really care much about what people thought about them.. but I don’t think I am.” (iTV, 2011)
In a clip we’re all familiar with, Harry showed how he was handling the pressure of his new stardom. The importance of this has shifted from an example of how comments on the internet can affect someone, to showing how much Harry has grown in the last 12 years. From the teenager that took judgment to heart to the adult that allows others to feel safe by setting an example of being unapologetically yourself, this quote has remained relevant.
3. “I study rainbows.” (Twitter, 2015)
4. “Don’t let anyone tell you who you’re supposed to be, don’t let anyone tell you what you’re supposed to do with your body. Let’s have each other’s back and look out for each other and if we do it, I think we’ll be alright.” (HSLOT Dallas, 2021)
Said in Dallas, Texas, Harry gave this speech just 10 days after Texas passed an extremely restrictive abortion ban. It was one of the few times he has publicly stated a political opinion at a time that was mentally and emotionally taxing for anyone able to become pregnant in the state of Texas.
5. “Louis is a great person to just, like, sit and kind of like, just admire what he’s like.” (This Is Us, 2013)
Really nothing I can say but cute and relatable.
6. “My favorite thing about the movie is that it feels like a movie.” (Venice International Film Festival, 2022)
A lot of words were said during the premiere of this movie, and from those we were given this gem. Chris Pine may have appeared to be in pain while listening to this, but the rest of us loved it.
7. “The reason why the story is so devastating is because ultimately, to me, the whole story is about wasted time.” (TIFF, 2022)
In contrast to the last quote, Harry’s obvious passion for My Policeman was exemplified by his eloquent explanations of this film. This specific quote resonated with many people for a lot of reasons. Most of us can relate with the idea of wasted time, but for Larries it was a heart wrenching confirmation of what we’ve always discussed.
8. “Why am I always Julia Roberts? I’m always Julia Roberts. In everyone’s RomCom, I’m always Julia Roberts.” (The Late Late Show with James Corden, 2017)
9. “My first real crush is Louis Tomlinson.” (SugarScape, 2011)
One of my personal favorite Larry proofs, this statement was typical in that period of time. Before things majorly changed, and both Harry and Louis were a little more… obvious and open with their relationship, this quote will always be special to Larries.
10. “FREEDOM!” (HSLOT Uncasville, CT, 2022)
After helping a fan come out as bisexual, Harry helped them celebrate what he had mentioned wanting in an interview years before- freedom.
11. “Obviously you want people to like your music. I also think it’s really important that it’s not where making it comes from.” (Zane Lowe, 2022)
12. “To spit or to swallow, that is the question.” (The Late Late Show with James Corden, 2019)
Is it, Harry? Is that the question?
13. “I mean, we’re all a little bit gay, aren’t we?” (Live On Tour Los Angeles, 2018)
14. “Not that important.” (ODE, 2014)
In a legendary interview with Liam for the One Direction album Four, Harry told the world that gender was not an important factor in a partner for him. It was one of the many times he has come out.
15. “How do you know she’s not going to seduce me?” (Howard Stern Show, 2020)
In an interview with Howard Stern, we got to see a rare moment of Harry standing up for himself against the womanizer image he’s had forced on him since he was a minor. When Stern discovered Harry’s therapist is a woman, he accused him of planning to seduce her. Harry insisted he wouldn’t and flipped the script on Stern, asking him why he assumed Harry would do that.
16. “I realized that home feeling isn’t something you get from a house; it’s more of an internal thing.” (Better Homes and Gardens, 2022)
Harry has been using the home motif on us for years now, and 2022 was the year he went all-out. From You Are Home, to interviewing with Better Homes and Gardens, to describing what home means to him, he had us fighting for our lives all year.
17. “I think that accepting living, being happy, hurting in the extremes, that is the most alive you can be. Losing it crying, losing it laughing—there’s no way, I don’t think, to feel more alive than that.” (Better Homes and Gardens, 2022)
18. “I think everyone, including myself, has your own journey with figuring out sexuality and getting more comfortable with it.” (Rolling Stone, 2022)
A statement as brave as it is true, we were given another example knocking on the door of the glass closet.
19. “I’d say my gut is the only thing that I do trust in terms of people.” (Zane Lowe, 2019)
20. “Michael Buble on the shoulders of Rocky, wrapped in a flag, on the moose riding in here, covered in syrup, on poutine, and you’re all everywhere watching the whole thing go down!” (OTRA Montreal, 2015)
I wish I could take a guess at what was going through his head at this moment, but I can not even begin to imagine. What can I say? He loves poutine and chaos.
21. “Vegetables.” (Chelsea via Netflix, 2017)
22. “I mean, I think people are always gonna speculate what songs are about, and I don’t think I’d ever want to tell anyone that they’re wrong for feeling what they feel about a song. Even when they’re not necessarily right. But I think if you really listen to the lyrics, I think you can work out if it’s really about that or not, and I would lean towards no.” (106.1 BLI, 2017)
The horse noises were removed for the sake of readability, but the vibe remains the same. When asked if Sweet Creature was about his relationship with Louis, Harry fumbled over his words for 45 seconds in what can only be described as pure gay panic. He could have simply said “No.” or “What relationship?” but alas, he instead said… all that.
23. “It hath returned.” (Instagram, 2022)
What now seems to be him slowly dipping his toe back into social media, Harry took to his instagram story to let us all know that his beloved lion ring was returned after losing it at Coachella, complete with a cute angry kitten.
24. “I’ve got four nipples! I think I must have been a twin, but then the other one went away and left its nipples behind.” (The Sun, 2011)
25. “I would describe him as handsome and rugged, more manly.” (Teemix, 2012)
In the much-loved 2012 Valentine’s Day Larry Interview, the pair were handed a fan edit describing each of the boys. Louis was described as “Funny and adorable” and while true, Harry made sure to let everyone know exactly how he views Louis.
26. “Do” (Twitter, 2019)
I will provide you with as much context as he did at the time. Which is none, moving on.
27. “You don’t have to be sorry for leaving and growing up.” (Matilda, 2022)
28. “What, like dibs? We don’t really do that, to be honest. We feel like that objectifies women and that’s not really what we’re about.” (The Bert Show, 2012)
29. “You are the greatest team mates we have ever known. Thank you.” (Twitter, 2015)
Reminding the fans that this parasocial relationship is more of a partnership, a mutually beneficial connection, Harry wrapped up 2015 with this sweet tweet thanking his fans, his team.